This was a very down-to-earth, accessible, easy-to-read volume on the doctrines of Scripture and the Trinity. Many people are put off by the idea of theology and think it is primarily for scholars and theologians. But everyone has a theology whether they realize it or not. And our theology or view of who God is, affects our daily lives. This book puts theology in an understandable format, making it easy to grasp for the average person. What we believe is our theology and good theology is needed to live a life in accordance with God’s Word.
After a brief overview of the Christian story in 4 acts, this book is divided into 2 sections: Revelation and Scripture, and The Trinity. Each part then breaks down the doctrine in the following sections:
- High Altitude Survey
- Passages to Master – a look at key passages that explore this particular doctrine
- In Retrospect – what did the past teach regarding this doctrine? A look at church history
- Facts to Never Forget – key truths regarding this doctrine
- Dangers to Avoid – some of the heresies that have arisen in the past from this doctrine
- Principles to Put into Practice – how is this doctrine practical for my daily life?
- Voices from the Past and Present – key church fathers, theologians and others’ quotes regarding this doctrine
- Shelf Space – further recommending reading to dive further into this subject
Each section is well-written and concise. For those looking for a beginning-level curriculum for small group or Sunday School classes, this volume would make an excellent choice to go through together to better understand and grasp the doctrine of Scripture and the Trinity.
*I received a copy of this book free from the publisher Bethany House in exchange for my review.